Saturday 18 May 2013

Balancing thoughts- CBT Techniques for Anorexia Nervosa

So, i have come up with several thoughts that have mounted the last few days...as i have just embarked on a meal plan to "restore regular eating" which is basically the starter meal plan treatment centres put patients with Anorexia Nervosa on, right at the beginning of treatment. (fun? not.) I have been sticking to this plan (near enough) for two days now and i am really starting to feel as though i can no longer manage the grief Anorexia is putting me through which is why i am going to attempt to balance these thoughts and make it through till Wednesday (the day of my appointment and my meal plan will be increased by 1000 calories) sigh. give me strength.


It has been an awfully long time since i last did this, but i hope these examples will inspire someone while helping me too (slightly selfish!). I learn this technique at my last admission to the Maudsley and i remember it helping immensely. Note: you need to have had nutrition for a day at least for this to work...our brains cannot work starved which is why we get these horrible, destructive thoughts. 

Negative thought: 
"if you eat that, the Maudsley will think you are fine and you don't have a problem... Fat!"

Positive thought:
"no. I need to follow this meal plan or i will not be able to embark on the ITP programme to recover and i will not perform as well in my AS levels. I need to eat at least this for a week and then a week on the meal plan the next level up to be able to start the ITP programme. You must trust the Maudsley, you will not get fat from this meal plan, the weight you gain will be mostly from hydration and you may even lose weight after several days because of this. Your body is starved and emaciated and without this nutrition you will die sooner or later. "

I'm rather tired from a day of re-feeding and revising and also seeing my mum (which is always taxing and often makes me feel worse about my  ed) so im going to end this here but i hope this was helpful and you get the idea. Keep going back to these and i'm sure they will come of some use, i already feel better! 

Much love and my bestest wishes to any sufferers, 
heres a bed time smiling selfie hahaaa



x






No comments:

Post a Comment